Though often misspelled and a tongue twister for sure, Andouille sausage (pronounced “an-DOO-ee” or “ahn-DWEE”) is a culinary gem.
This uniquely American smoked sausage is French by way of Louisiana, where Andouille is a staple in Cajun cooking. Creole specialties, such as gumbo and jambalaya, are seemingly naked – and seriously lacking in flavor – without this perfectly seasoned pork sausage. Flavored with salt, pepper and garlic, then smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane, Andouille adds just the right amount of kick to any dish.
Here’s a short list of our favorite andouille dishes:
- Andouille Omelet – a staple on the Pearl’s Brunch Menu, which is not only filled with spicy Andouille sausage, but also topped with a perfect blend of our homemade Andouille sauce and Hollandaise.
- Brunch Shrimp + Grits – this brunch delight mixes in just the right amount of andouille sausage.
- BIG Bowl of Red Beans & Rice – a grilled Andouille link serves as the centerpiece for our “Wash Day” special every Monday.
- Crabtown Crab Boil – no boil is complete without our perfectly sliced bites of smoked Andouille sausage.
- Shrimp + Chicken Gumbo – the Creole Andouille spice helped earn the coveted title “Best Gumbo ANYWHERE”.
Whether grilling it up, throwing it in a pot or adding it as the perfect garnish, Andouille sausage is a must-have for Cajun cuisine! Try it in your own home cooking or come in to one of our three restaurants and let us serve you the bold flavors of Louisiana cooking!